Hi there! Great inspirational blog! We are trying to spread the word, currently doing some fundraising by selling t-shirts and we have designed a LGBT/equal rights t-shirt/hoodie. We would love anybody open-minded and wanting to support the community to check them out on teespring/equalrightstshirt Thanks and enjoy!
Thanks! I’m answering this publicly so anyone can see that link — hopefully that will help with your fundraising.
Hi I'm hoping you can help me? I have a post on my page about how me and my girlfriend were harassed at a Build A Bear in NYC. If you can reblog it and share it here so we can get the word out, it'd be ever so helpful. It's called 'Build A Case', and it's the first thing you'll see on my blog. Thank you, and sorry if I bothered you
So we all know that Gay Rights has been in the news lately. Well, here’s something else to add to the ever increasing headlines. My girlfriend and I went to ‘Build-A-Bear’ in New York City today on 565 5th Ave, zip code; 10017. She decided to get me the new Pinkie Pie stuffed Animal as a gift…
To those who don't like the growing acceptance of gay marriage in America, and the fact that the issue is finally before the Supreme Court: now you know how we felt when George W. Bush was elected. Each time.
Hi there! We have started a new project called Faces of Equality and we would really appreciate it if you could reblog this link for us? We'd love to get more people involved so that awareness can spread. Thank you so much for your help! /post/46059915260/faces-of-equality-we-are-starting-a-new-project
Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus has been pressing the GOP to be more accepting of gay people, arguing that harsh rhetoric alienates young voters and jeopardizes the party’s future. But on Friday, Priebus took a big step backward, telling the National Review that the party should take its cues about social issues from former Arkansas governor and Baptist Minister Mike Huckabee:
Priebus cited former governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas as an example of someone who could be “a model for a lot of people in our party” in terms of discussing issues like marriage and abortion. “I always tell people: Listen to Governor Mike Huckabee,” he said. “I don’t know anyone that talks about them any better.”
Huckabee — a hard line opponent of marriage equality and abortion rights — uses a warmer and more congenial tone about gay people and women than firebrands like Rick Santorum or Rick Perry, urging conservatives to respect gays and women, even as they organize to deny them legal protections and benefits or access to a full spectrum of health care services. But as the public grows more accepting of same-sex relationships and Roe v Wade, Huckabee’s positions and rhetoric about these issues is out of sync with the nation as a whole and will not serve the party well as it seeks to grow and appeal to more voters:
On Marriage Equality:
– Being gay is a public health risk. “I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk”
– Being gay is a sin. “Well I believe it would be — just like lying is sinful and stealing is sinful. There are a lot of things that are sinful. It doesn’t mean that a person is a horrible person. It means that they engage in behavior that is outside the norms of those boundaries of our traditional view of what’s right and what’s wrong. So, I think that anybody who has, maybe a traditional worldview of sexuality would classify that as an unusual behavior that is not traditional and that would be outside those bounds.”
– Marriage equality will lead to polygamy. “If we change the definition to a man or a man and a woman and a woman, why can’t we accommodate a man and two women or a woman and three men.”
– Supported Todd Akin. “The Party’s leaders have for reasons that aren’t rational, left [Akin] behind on the political battlefield…Is this what the party really thinks ofprincipled pro-life advocates?”
– Would ban abortion even in cases of incest or rape. In 2011, Huckabee traveled to Jackson, Mississippi to raise money for the Yes on 26 campaign, “in support of the Mississippi Personhood amendment, a referendum on the November ballot that would ban abortions in the state” even in cases of rape or incest.
– Compares abortion to slavery. “What are we saying to the generation coming after us when we tell them that it is perfectly OK for one person to own another human being?” Huckabee said. “I thought we dealt with that 150 years ago when the issue of slavery was finally settled in this country, and we decided that it no longer was a political issue, it wasn’t an issue of geography, it was an issue of morality. That it was either right or it was immoral that one person could own another human being and have full control even to the point of life and death over that other human being.”
First Ever Gay Pride Run in Jackson MS is taking place March 2nd. This is a huge deal.
Hey guys, I’m a gay student from the deeeeeeeeep south. And I’m working with my fellow human rights activists to have a Pride 5k run, in order to raise money for LGBTQ allied charities in the Jackson area and in order to raise awareness of LGBTQ issues and create a sense of solidarity within the Jackson community. I come from where there are violent hate crimes, and where the choice to be out is especially perilous. When we run on March 2nd, at 8am from the state capital steps, we are running for every single person in MS who’s ever been at risk due to their differences, whether they are race, sexuality, or gender. There’s more info at: http://www.facebook.com/events/406228566138880. Registration is at:http://tinyurl.com/priderunmsregistration